Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dialogue: A Business Presentation
By Kenneth Beare

On a Business Trip - A Presentation

Betsy: Hi Brian, this is Betsy. How are you doing?
Brian: I've just returned from the Head Office. The weather is great! Boston is a great city!

Betsy: Have you met Frank yet?
Brian: No, I haven't seen him yet. We have a meeting at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning. We are going to meet then.

Betsy: Have you made your presentation yet?
Brian: Yes, I made the presentation yesterday afternoon. I was very nervous, but everything went well.

Betsy: Has management given you any feedback yet?
Brian: Yes, I've already met with the sales director. We met immediately after the meeting and he was impressed with our work.

Betsy: That's great Brian. Congratulations! Have you visited any museums yet?
Brian: No, I'm afraid I haven't had any time yet. I hope to take a tour around town tomorrow.

Betsy: Well, I'm happy to hear that everything is going well. I'll talk to you soon.
Brian: Thanks for calling Betsy. Bye.

Betsy: Bye.



Business Jargon - Advanced Level Dialogue
By Kenneth Beare

Tim: Hey, can I get a little facetime?
Randall: Sure, let's dialogue.
Tim: Great. I tried to ping you earlier, but you weren't in.
Randall: Yeah, I had to handle some pushback on my proposal.
Tim: Really, why was that?
Randall: Well, I've come up with a number of synergies in the value chain. My value proposition was to seamlessly integrate our customer service reps.
Tim: Sounds like a win-win. How long is the ramp-up?
Randall: That's the problem. I projected a roll-out in two months. C-level people want to dial-in the project in two weeks.
Tim: ...but you're proposing an end-to-end solution!
Randall: Yeah, I know. I had the time-frame mapped out for all the deliverables, too.
Tim: Sometimes you have to wonder about high-level management's capabilities to leverage people like you!
Randall: You're much too kind! Anyway, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?
Tim: Nothing much, I just wanted to give you a heads-up on some performance management issues I've been having with Pete.
Randall: No room to breathe?
Tim: You've got it ....
Translation into easy (well, easier) English:
Tim: Hey, do you have some time for me?
Randall: Sure, let's talk.
Tim: Great. I tried to contact you earlier, but you weren't in.
Randall: Yeah, I had to manage some complaints about my idea for the company.
Tim: Really, why was that?
Randall: Well, I thought of a number of tasks that can complement each other in how we provide our service. My improvement idea was to include our customer service representatives our processes.
Tim: That sounds like a good idea for everybody. How long will it take to put your plan into action?
Randall: That's the problem. I think it will take two months to put into place. The directors want to put the project into action in two weeks.
Tim: ...but you've suggested a complete solution to the problem!
Randall: Yes, I know. I had developed a schedule for all of the improvements, too.
Tim: Sometimes it's difficult to understand why upper management can't take advantage of people like you!
Randall: You're much too kind! Anyway, what was it you wanted to talk to me about?
Tim: Nothing much. I just wanted to tell you ahead of time about some problems I'm having with Pete trying to control everything I do.
Randall: No room for your own efforts?
Tim: That's right.

Key Vocabulary

facetime (noun)- time together
to dialogue (verb) - to speak
to ping (verb) - to contact someone
pushback (noun) - to object to, complain about
synergies (noun) - combinations in efforts that improve something
value chain (noun) - the group of processes that provide something positive
value proposition (noun) - the improvement idea
seamlessly (adverb) - flowing smoothly
to integrate (verb) - to include in a process
win-win (noun, also used as an adjective) - successful outcome for everyone involved
ramp-up (noun, also used as a verb) - time it takes to do something
roll-out (noun, also used as a verb) - time it takes to do something
C-level (adjective) - upper management, directors
to dial-in (verb) - time it takes to do something
end-to-end (adjective) - complete
time-frame (noun) - amount of time needed
to map out (verb) - to plan
deliverables (noun) - specific improvements or products to be made
to leverage (verb) - to take advantage of something
heads-up (noun) - notice of something
performance management (noun) - way of managing someone


Business English - Deliveries and Suppliers
By Kenneth Beare


Deliveries and Suppliers

Susan: Doug, can I talk with you for a moment?
Doug: What can I do for you Susan?

Susan: I'm concerned about the delays we're experiencing with some of our suppliers.
Doug: We're doing everything to get back on schedule.

Susan: Could you give me an approximate timeline?
Doug: A number of deliveries are arriving tomorrow. Unfortunately, this time of year is often troublesome.

Susan: That's not good. We can't make excuses to our clients. Are all shipments affected?
Doug: No, but it is summer and some companies are cutting back until September.

Susan: Where are most of our suppliers located?
Doug: Well, most of them are in China, but there are a few in California.

Susan: How does that affect deliveries?
Doug: Well, there are weather delays and shipment delays due to reduced production. Sometimes, larger packages are delayed because of a bottleneck at the distribution point.

Susan: Is there any way around these delays?
Doug: Well, we often work with delivery services such as UPS, Fed ex or DHL for our most urgent shipping. They guarantee door-to-door deliveries within 48 hours.

Susan: Are they expensive?
Doug: Yes, they're very expensive at that cuts into our bottom line.

Key Vocabulary

delay
supplier
to get back on schedule
timeline
delivery
shipment
to cut back
to make excuses
increased / reduced production
package
bottleneck
distribution point
bottom line
to cut into




Business English - Taking a Message
By Kenneth Beare

Taking a Message

Receptionist: Janson Wine Importers. Good Morning. How can I help you?
Caller: Could I speak to Mr Adams, please?

Receptionist: Who's calling please?
Caller: This is Anna Beare.

Receptionist: Sorry, I didn't catch your name.
Caller: Anna Beare. That's B E A R E

Receptionist: Thank you. And where are you calling from?
Caller: Sun Soaked Vineyards

Receptionist: OK Ms Beare. I'll try and put you through. … I'm sorry but the line's busy. Would you like to hold?
Caller: Could I leave a message?

Receptionist: Certainly.
Caller: Could you tell Mr Adams that our shipment will be postponed and that the 200 cases ordered should arrive next Monday.

Receptionist: Shipment delayed … arriving next Monday.
Caller: Yes, and could you ask him to call me back when the shipment arrives?


Receptionist: Certainly. Could you give me your number please?
Caller: Yes, it's 503-589-9087

Receptionist: That's 503-589-9087
Caller: Yes, that's right. Thanks for your help. Goodbye

Receptionist: Goodbye.

Key Vocabulary

to catch a person's name
to be busy / to be engaged
to hold the line
to leave a message
shipment
to postpone
to be delayed
to call someone back


Business English - Placing an Order
By Kenneth Beare

Placing an Order
on the telephone

Jane Tegal: Hello, this is Jane Tegal from Excellerator Co. calling. May I speak to Mr. Mitchell?
Arthur Mitchell: Hello Ms Tegal, this is Arthur Mitchell.

Jane Tegal: Hello, I'd like to place an order for a number of your Millennium desk units.
Arthur Mitchell: Certainly. How many were you interested in ordering for purchase?

Jane Tegal: Quite a few. Do you have many available in the warehouse?
Arthur Mitchell: We keep a large supply in stock. There's also a showroom with quite a few on hand. It shouldn't be a problem.

Jane Tegal: Well then. I'd like 75 units by the end of the month. Could I get an estimate before place an order?
Arthur Mitchell: Certainly, I'll have it for you by the end of the day.

Jane Tegal: What does the estimate include?
Arthur Mitchell: Estimates include merchandise, packaging and shipping, duty if required, any taxes and insurance.

Jane Tegal: Do you ship door-to-door?
Arthur Mitchell: Certainly, all shipments are door-to-door. Delivery dates depend on your location, but we can usually deliver within 14 business days.

Jane Tegal: Thank you for your help.
Arthur Mitchell: My pleasure. You can expect an e-mail by 5 this afternoon.

Key Vocabulary

unit to place an order
warehouse
to purchase
to be available
supply
in stock
showroom
to be on hand
estimate
door-to-door shipping
to depend on something
location



Business English - Putting Someone Through
By Kenneth Beare


Putting Someone Through

Receptionist: Janson Wine Importers. Good Morning. How can I help you?
Caller: Could I speak to Ms Simpleton, please?

Receptionist: Who's calling please?
Caller: This is Jack Reilly from Lookout Vineyards.

Receptionist: Sorry, I didn't get your name.
Caller: Jack Reilly. That's R E I L L Y.

Receptionist: Thank you. And where are you calling from?
Caller: Lookout Vineyards.

Receptionist: OK Mr Reilly. I'll try and put you through.
Caller: Thank you.

Receptionist: You're welcome.

Key Vocabulary

importer
to get someone's name
to put through


Business English - Directions to a Meeting
By Kenneth Beare

Directions to a Meeting

Mark: Linda, do you know how to get to Daniels Co.? I've never been there before.
Heather: Are you driving or taking the subway?

Mark: The subway.
Heather: Right. Take the no. 9 from West 72nd street. Get off at Times Square and change to the shuttle. Go across town and get off at Grand Central station. Go above ground and walk north on Park Avenue.

Mark: Just a moment, let me write this down!
Heather: Take the no. 9 from West 72nd street. Get off at Times Square and change to the shuttle. Got it?

Mark: Yes, thanks. Now, once I get to Times Square, which train do I take?
Heather: Change to the shuttle. Go across town and get off at Grand Central station. Go above ground and walk north on Park Avenue.

Mark: Can you repeat that?
Heather: Change to the shuttle. Go across town and get off at Grand Central station. Go above ground and walk north on Park Avenue.

Mark: Thanks Heather. How long does it take?
Heather: It takes about a half an hour. When is your meeting?

Mark: It's at nine. I'll leave at eight-thirty.
Heather: That's a busy time of day. You should leave at eight.

Mark: OK. Thanks Heather.
Heather: No problem.



Key Vocabulary

to get to somewhere
to take the subway
to change to another train
to go across town
to get off
to go above ground
to walk north / south / west / east
to take time
a busy time of day


Business English - How to Use an ATM
By Kenneth Beare

How to Use an ATM

Susan: How do I use the ATM?
Alan: First of all, put your card in this slot and enter your PIN.

Susan: OK. Then I choose withdrawal?
Alan: Yes, choose withdrawal, not account information.

Susan: What's next?
Alan: The ATM calls up your checking or savings account.

Susan: And then?
Alan: Enter the amount you want to take out of your account.

Susan: How much can I take out?
Alan: Most accounts have a limit of $400.

Susan: What happens after I enter the withdrawal amount?
Alan: The ATM gives you bills, usually $20 bills. Take the money and receipt from the slots.

Key Vocabulary

ATM - automatic teller machine
to put a card into a slot
PIN - personal identification number
to enter a PIN
withdrawal
account
checkin
savings
amount
to take out
limit
bill
receipt


Business English - Funds Transfer and Deposits
By Kenneth Beare

Funds Transfer and Deposits

Maria: Alice, have you transferred the funds to the Anderson account yet?
Alice: No, I haven't done that yet.

Maria: Good, there are a few changes we need to make.
Alice: Really? It's good I haven't had a chance to go to the bank yet. What has been changed?

Maria: They've asked to how the funds transferred into three different accounts. Here's the updated information.
Alice: This looks more complicated.

Maria: It's not that difficult. Just take along the account numbers, amounts and payment scheme to the bank with you.
Alice: Am I authorized to make these changes?

Maria: I can call ahead and let them know. Here's the PIN number in any case.
Alice: Is there anything else I need to do?

Maria: Yes, could you make these deposits when you go.
Alice: Certainly, which accounts do you want to use.

Maria: Deposit the checks into our savings account. Put the cash into checking
Alice: OK, I'll probably leave in about a half an hour.

Key Vocabulary

to transfer funds
updated
complicated
payment scheme
to be authorized to do something
to call ahead
PIN number


Business English - Sales Terminology
By Kenneth Beare

Sales Terminology

Julian: I'm new to this job, could you explain some of the terminology?
Jack: That's what I'm here for. Shoot.

Julian: What's the difference between retail and wholesale?
Jack: Wholesale is to distributors. Retail to consumers.

Julian: Distributors? Consumers?
Jack: Distributors are stores that sell our merchandise. Consumers are the people who buy the products.

Julian: Oh, I see. What's a bill of lading?
Jack: The bill of lading lists the merchandise shipped. It's included with every shipment or delivery.

Julian: I get what pre-paid means. That means the merchandise has been paid for. But, what's C.O.D.?
Jack: Cash on delivery.

Julian: What does that mean?
Jack: Exactly what it says: cash is paid upon receiving the goods. Of course, it could be a credit card or a check, as well.

Julian: Oh, I understand. What's a delivery fee?
Jack: The delivery fee is an extra charge that the customer pays to have the goods delivered.

Julian: I think I'm beginning to understand now.

Key Vocabulary

retail
wholesale
distributor
consumer
merchandise
bill of lading
pre-paid
COD - Cash on Delivery
to receive goods
fee


Business English - Looking for a Bookkeeper
By Kenneth Beare

Looking for a Bookkeeper

Bruce: Have you finished the balance sheets yet?
Alice: I've been working on them since 10 this morning. I'm almost done.

Bruce: No need to rush. I don't need them until tomorrow morning.
Alice: Janet told me we're looking for a new bookkeeper. Is that true?

Bruce: Yes, We've been looking, but no luck yet.
Alice: I know someone who'd be perfect.

Bruce: Oh really, does she have any experience?
Alice: Of course, she's been working for Smith CPA and Co. since 2004.

Bruce: Great. Ask her to come in for an interview.
Alice: Sounds good. She's not too happy in her current position. I'm sure she'll be interested in interviewing for the job.

Bruce: Oh, I almost forgot to ask ... have you opened the new accounts at Wells Fargo?
Alice: Yes, I have. Here are the account numbers, PIN number, and paperwork.

Bruce: Thanks. Well, let me know when you finish those balance sheets.
Alice: Sure, I should be done soon.

Key Vocabulary

balance sheet
to rush
bookkeeper
CPA
account number
PIN number





Business English - Hardware Deductions
By Kenneth Beare

Hardware Deductions

Mr. Sanders: Mark can we talk for a moment?
Mark: Sure, Mr. Sanders. What would you like to discuss?

Mr. Sanders: I'd like to look into the Johnson account for a moment.
Mark: I did the bookkeeping yesterday and updated the balance sheet.

Mr. Sanders: Yes, I don't understand some of these deductions.
Mark: Do you mean the amortization costs?

Mr. Sanders: You deducted $35,000 for depreciation of hardware.
Mark: That's based on their accounting criteria. I got the amount from their bookkeeper.

Mr. Sanders: It seems too much to me.
Mark: Remember that computer equipment tends to depreciate faster than office furniture.

Mr. Sanders: I guess so. I'll take your word for it. Did they approve the balance?
Mark: Yes, it was OKed yesterday afternoon.

Mr. Sanders: The net growth looks fantastic this year.
Mark: It sure does! The bottom-line grew by 17%.

Key Vocabulary

to discuss
to look into something
bookkeeping
to update
balance sheet
amortization
cost
depreciation
hardware
accounting
bookkeeper
computer equipment
office furniture
balance
to take someone's word for something
to ok something
net growth
bottom-line
Paperwork


Business English - WebVisions Conference
By Kenneth Beare

WebVisions Conference

Robert: I'm going to Portland on Thursday. There's a internet expo on. It's called WebVisions.
Alice: What is the schedule like?

Robert: As soon as I arrive, the keynote speech begins.
Alice: ... and after that?

Robert: When the keynote ends, we'll have two hours to check out the booths.
Alice: Are you making any presentations?

Robert: No, I'm just attending this conference.
Alice: Is Tad Wilson presenting?

Robert: No, but he's giving a workshop on Monday.
Alice: When are you coming back?

Robert: I'm flying back on Saturday morning.
Alice: Remember you are meeting with Trevor on Monday morning at nine o'clock sharp!

Robert:Oh, thanks! I forgot about that ...
Alice: Have a good trip!

Key Vocabulary
expo
schedule
keynote speech
to check something out
booth
presentation
to attend
workshop
at X o'clock sharp


Business English - Tomorrow's Meeting
By Kenneth Beare

Tomorrow's Meeting

Alice: We're having a meeting tomorrow. Can you make it?
Kevin: When is it taking place?

Alice: We're planning on 10 o'clock. Is that OK?
Kevin: Yes, that'll be fine.

Alice: We're going to go over last quarter's sales figures.
Kevin: Good. I have some input I'd like to make.

Alice: Frank is also going to make some suggestions on improving the bottom line.
Kevin: That'll be interesting. He's got keen insights.

Alice: Yes, he's going to outline some new sales strategies.
Kevin: Is Alan attending?

Alice: No, he's flying to San Francisco and won't be able to make it.
Kevin: Oh well, maybe He'll phone in.

Key Vocabulary

to make a meeting
to take place
sales figures
quarter
bottom line
insight
strategy
to phone in


Business English - Discussing Ideas at a Meeting
By Kenneth Beare

Discussing Ideas at a Meeting

Chairman: I'd like to open today's meeting. Robert?
Robert: First, I'll quickly go over the main points of the last meeting.

Chairman: …. (finishes) , if no one has anything to add, let's move on to today's agenda.
Robert: I suggest we each give a little background on the suggestions we discussed last week.

Chairman:Could you repeat that, please?
Robert: Let's start by going over the research you've done on the suggestions.

Chairman: You'll find most of the information outlined in the summary documents in front of you.
Robert: These figures are interesting. It's clear to me that customer communications are not working as they should.

Chairman: Yes, our marketing efforts really haven't been effective to date.
Robert: I suggest we break up into groups and discuss how we can improve our message.

Chairman: Unfortunately, we're almost out of time. I suggest you submit your ideas on marketing and we can discuss the best next week.
Robert: Before we close, could we quickly discuss the Armstrong situation?

Key Vocabulary

to open a meeting
to go over
main points
to add something to a discussion
agenda
to move on
to give some background
outlined
summary documents
figures
communications
marketing efforts
to date
to break up into groups
out of time
to close a meeting

Business English - Happy Shareholders
By Kenneth Beare

Happy Shareholders

Director: Can we go over some figures please?
Assistant: Yes, our shareholders' meeting is soon. I think it'd be a good idea to review the key numbers.

Director: What has our total outlay been this year?
Assistant: Our expenditures are estimated at $4,320,000.

Director: What percentage is that is research and development?
Assistant: About 27%. We've invested heavily in developing some new technologies.

Director: What is our gross operating profit?
Assistant: Approximately 1.4 million.

Director: What kind of margin does that represent?
Assistant: The gross operating margin is at 24% for the year.

Director: That's impressive. That's up from last year, isn't it? About 10 points I think.
Assistant: That's right. We're solidly in the black. As a matter of fact, this is our fifth year straight.

Director: Shareholders will be happy.
Assistant: They should be! This kind of growth in the current market is remarkable.

Director: Hopefully the shareholders won't veto any further R & D allocation.
Assistant: I think they trust the board to continue doing the right thing.

Key Vocabulary

figures
shareholders
key numbers
outlay
expenditure
R & D - Research and Development
gross operating profit
margin
gross operating margin
to be up
in the black - in the red
remarkable
to veto
allocation
the board

No comments:

Post a Comment